Forget Jamba and try our chocolate banana almond butter smoothie!
It's hot outside and nothing hits the spot better than a tasty frozen treat. And when you make your own, you can skip the extra sugar and calorie explosion that often accompany anything with "chocolate" as an ingredient! (Our favorite Jamba order is one of the worst in terms of sugar and calories!)
Athletic-Minded Traveler's Healthy Chocolate Banana Almond Butter Smoothie
They key to our smoothie is very ripe and FROZEN bananas. The next time you have over ripe bananas, peel 'em, cut 'em in chunks and freeze in a ziploc.
On to the "recipe" -- I put recipe in quotes, because I basically just throw in the ingredients without much thought, but I've listed measurements below to provide guidance.
1. Frozen banana chunks (preferably from two VERY ripe bananas)
2. 1-2 cups ice
3. 1 cup milk (or your favorite almond milk flavor--click here to read our post on non-dairy options)
4. 1 T unsweetened high quality cocoa (like Scharffen Berger or Ghiradelli)
5. 1/2 or 1 container of your favorite yogurt
6. 1 T Ovaltine --Chocolate or Malt
7. Optional 1 T Almond Butter or Peanut Butter
Blend and taste! You may favor more chocolate or even a little sweetener. ENJOY!
The above recipe contains approx 600 calories (including 1 T peanut butter). So depending upon how many servings you end up with, this is a very sensible smoothie!
If your bananas are rock solid, nuke 'em for 30-45 seconds.
We also like adding strawberries instead of the almond/peanut butter.